Our client is a company on an inspiring mission. Its culture is energetic and diverse. Its rapid growth and expansion into new industry frontiers has helped elevate this company to unicorn status. Now it’s time for a world-class General Counsel. The executives have exclusively engaged Solutus Legal in their effort to add a top legal executive to the organization. The successful candidate will be considered a highly valued business partner and will report directly to the CEO, with close interactions with other top-level executives and the Board of Directors. S/he will also serve as an integral member of the Company’s core management team.
The General Counsel will be responsible for all legal affairs of the Company and will provide the highest quality legal counsel to the CEO, Board of Directors and other senior management. S/he will also serve as a strategic business partner who will collaborate with other senior leaders to accelerate the growth and evolution of the Company. In addition, this attorney will manage a high performing legal department that is scaling with the organization..
The successful candidate must possess strong business acumen and have the ability to translate complex legal principles into practical and effective business solutions – quickly and decisively. Our client requires a savvy, confident, detail-oriented and experienced General Counsel with prior General Counsel experience in a startup environment.
This legal executive will be a fearless adult who is comfortable with ambiguity and will thrive in a fast-paced and innovative startup. That means having the flexibility and willingness to jump in and get done what is needed in order to make the Company successful. S/he will also be committed to operational excellence and creating the highest quality work product.
Superb interpersonal skills are a must (excellent communicator and writer, positive, enthusiastic, can- do attitude, gets along with others, quick thinker, responsive, secure and confident). The demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse professional backgrounds in a fast-paced environment is critical. Excellent credentials and admission to at least one U.S. State Bar (in good standing) are required.
The General Counsel will possess the following profile:
● J.D. degree and 15+ years legal experience.
● Prior General Counsel experience (preferably in a fast growing startup company)
● Excellent legal training in an Am Law 100 law firm.
● Proven background in general corporate, commercial, technology licensing, open source, data security, data privacy, regulatory, international and IP management.
● Business acumen with business oriented legal solutions (not a box checker) and the ability to effectively collaborate with the other company leaders to move business forward.
● Must be a doer: Ability and desire to roll up one’s sleeves and do the work as well as handle the big picture strategic matters.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Executive presence and gravitas.
● Down to earth and positive/can-do attitude.
● Respectful to all members of the team.
● Effective interaction and relations with top-level management and Board of Directors.
● Demonstrated ability to successfully grow and manage a legal department.
● Proven track record of strong negotiation, communication, organizational, and management skills.
● Quick thinker.
Unique General Counsel opportunities like this do not arise in this legal market often. Our client offers a competitive and attractive compensation package, which reflects the importance of this role within the Company.
Solutus Legal Search is proud to have been exclusively retained to assist our client with this special engagement. Interested candidates must submit their resumes to our firm at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates contacting our client directly will be redirected to Solutus for consideration.