Our client, a leading financial services company, has exclusively engaged Solutus Legal to assist its executives in their search to add a Senior Vice President and General Counsel to the organization. This position will be one of ten on the executive committee, which is the strategic decision making and governing body for the organization.
Our client offers a wide array of innovative financial services and products with a common purpose: to help individuals, families, and businesses build, protect and achieve a lifetime of financial security. With more than a century of experience, our client has built a strong reputation on solid management, sound decisions and consumer confidence. The General Counsel Officer will embody these values.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Chief Legal and Administrative Officer, this highly experienced attorney will lead a department of 275+ legal and compliance professionals and will serve as a key advisor to the executive team, global partners and the Board of Directors.
S/he will possess at least 15 – 20+ years of relevant legal experience. In-house experience is required and prior General Counsel experience is preferred; however, our client will consider strong deputies, if the requisite substantive and management experience exists. Prior in-house experience in the financial services industry is highly preferred, but our client will consider strong candidates with relevant experience in other relevant industries. Experience advising, interacting and influencing with top level- leadership is crucial.
The successful candidate will possess strong business acumen and have the ability to translate difficult legal principles into practical and effective business solutions. S/he will provide the highest quality legal counsel to the CEO, Board of Directors, and other executives in the organization and will serve as a strategic business partner who collaborates with other senior leaders to accelerate the evolution of the Company.
The following substantive skills are required:
• Corporate Governance and Ethics
• Commercial Law
• Mergers and Acquisitions
• Commercial and Regulatory Compliance
• Intellectual Property Strategy & Management
• Litigation Management
• Legal Department & Outside Counsel Management
• Securities regulated products
• Privacy and Digital
• Labor and Employment law
Preferred experience includes:
• Life and health products (experience preferred not required)
• Reinsurance and derivatives (experience preferred not required)
• Tax (preferred but not required)
The successful candidate will have:
• Experience advising C-level executives and Boards
• Impeccable legal and business judgment and an ability to quickly risk-assess and prioritize
• Executive presence and proven ability to influence at all levels
• Business acumen
• Learning agility
• Analytically astute and data driven
• Superior written and oral communication skills
• The ability to communicate with all levels and drive alignment
• Proven relationship skills with the ability to indirectly lead and influence
• A collaborative approach in a fast-paced, growth and team-oriented environment
• Effective and efficient management of external legal resources
• High responsiveness
• JD required
• Bar Admission
• MBA preferred (not required)
Superb interpersonal skills are a must (enthusiastic, can-do and customer centric attitude, gets along with others, thick-skinned, great manager, responsive, proactive). The demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse professional backgrounds in a fast-paced environment is critical. In addition, possesses excellent credentials.
Our client offers competitive compensation and relocation packages.
Solutus Legal Search has been exclusively retained to assist our client with this special engagement. Interested candidates please forward your resume to email@example.com. All resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for consideration.