Our client, a publicly traded, cloud-based customer services software company, has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to assist the company in its desire to add a world-class executive to establish and lead its Product Legal team. This attorney will report directly to the Chief Legal Officer, Chief Compliance Officer and Secretary. San Francisco Bay Area location is preferred, but our client will consider remote candidates, particularly the Washington D.C. area.
The successful candidate will possess at least 13+ years of legal experience. S/he will be well versed in the areas of product law, which includes commercial/technology transactions, privacy and IP.
- Providing legal guidance on a broad range of issues throughout the product lifecycle, including product development, AI and automation, telecommunications regulatory compliance, including FCC and similar state organizations, privacy and data protection, export controls, and other regulatory and contractual matters.
- Establishing and leading the Product function in the Legal and Compliance department and scaling the group as needed.
- Setting forth and executing on the Product legal strategic vision for the organization.
- Partnering with and counseling executives in the Company’s Technology & Products organization to foster the development of innovative technologies while managing legal risk and ensuring legal compliance.
- Shaping policies and processes to help scale as the Company continues to grow and drive important compliance initiatives related to the product development lifecycle.
- Maintaining close relationships with subject matter experts across the Legal & Compliance department (e.g., Privacy, Intellectual Property, Commercial Transactions Legal and Compliance specialists) in addition to other departments across the Company (e.g., Security).
- Partnering with the Commercial Transactions lawyers on negotiations of sales, partner and vendor agreements to (1) bring the product lens and strategic approach in support of closing deals, and (2) create appropriate clauses and playbooks in contracts.
- Assist with acquisition and integration of products, content, services, and technologies, including due diligence and integration related to mergers and acquisitions
- Reviewing and negotiating product related commercial transactions that integrate with the Company’s services.
- Serving as a resident expert and resource on issues related to privacy and data protection as it relates to the Company’s platform, products, and services.
Required Skills / Experience:
- 13+ years combined experience in law firm and/or in-house legal department, preferably in the technology industry, with significant product counseling experience.
- Experience with telecommunications law, privacy, cybersecurity and data protection issues and working knowledge of U.S. and global privacy laws.
- Substantive expertise in the laws governing telecommunications, data privacy (especially related to AI technologies), cybersecurity and export controls.
- Well-grounded knowledge of intellectual property law.
The successful candidate will have the ability to team well with others and thrive in a fast paced, commercially oriented and fun work environment. Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with sound business and legal judgment are key to success in this job. This attorney will possess a highly responsive and service oriented value system and be able to prioritize work and manage deadlines. S/he will also be confident, polished and exude executive presence. A sense of fun and humor will fit in well with this fantastic culture.
This is a unique opportunity to join a high profile, cutting-edge company experiencing incredible success. Compensation is competitive and the career opportunity is compelling.
Solutus Legal Search has been exclusively retained for this search. Interested candidates may submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for evaluation.