Our client, a leading renewable energy company, and one of the world’s largest solar module producers, has exclusively retained Solutus Legal to assist the executives in their search for an experienced trade compliance lawyer to join its legal team. The ideal candidate will have experience advising on all aspects of US import/export compliance, export controls, sanctions programs, and customs and import regulations for a global manufacturer. This role will report to the General Counsel, Americas and work closely with senior management, outside counsel and customers.
- Acting as the lead subject-matter expert and point of contact on US trade compliance issues and other trade-related matters.
- Manage and advise on anti-dumping/countervailing duties (AD/CVD), tariffs generally, OFAC, CFIUS, UFLPA and other trade-related and regulatory matters of import to the business.
- Provide advice and counsel to the business regarding the following:
- Duty deferment and drawback programs
- Valuation rules
- COO determinations
- Marking requirements
- Tariff classification
- Importer broker compliance
- Binding rulings
- CF28 response
- CBP/compliance audits
- Providing guidance on UFLPA / supplier investigations and assessments
- Work with the compliance team to develop legal policies, processes, and procedures for the North America business.
- Provide timely and effective legal advice and risk analysis relating to trade compliance (primarily in the US but also in Canada).
- Coordinate and supervise outside counsel in handling trade cases and with a view to balancing legal costs with business goals.
- Ensure that all activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with policies, code, and procedures.
Qualifications and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- A J.D. from a reputable law school and strong academic credentials.
- Licenced to practice law in the District of Columbia, CA or in another US jurisdiction
- 8+ years of legal experience, with a combination of large law firm and federal government or in-house experience preferred.
- Experience working for/with USDOC, USITC, CIT, CBP.
- Extensive trade/regulatory experience, including advising OEMs importing finished products or components from Asia.
- Be a leader, i.e. take ownership of complete files, direct outside counsel in their tasks, and drive innovation within the legal department and in concert with commercial leaders to achieve the company’s goals.
- Be willing to travel on occasion to meet legal and business needs.
The ideal candidate will have a team-first attitude and will be a confident self-starter with strong interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills and a demonstrated ability to effectively provide sound legal advice, exercise good business judgment, and work with senior management, outside counsel, regulators and customers.
The estimated base salary pay range for this position is $167,537 -$223,382 plus an annual target bonus and generous benefits package including a 401(k) Retirement Plan, medical, dental, life, disability program, PTO and sick days.
Actual individual pay is determined based on experience, qualifications, and other job-related factors permitted by law.
The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation,