Our client, a unicorn, pre-IPO technology company that sells payroll and benefits management software, has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to assist the company in its search for a Product Counsel to join the company’s Product and Commercial, Legal team, focused on building and expanding the company’s insurance and benefits products. This individual will support and grow the company’s mission to create a world where work empowers a better life and to build a better ecosystem for small businesses and their employees.
- Navigate complex product and regulatory frameworks to design and mature innovative benefits products. This would include products related to group-sponsored health, life, disability, retirement plans (401k), property and casualty (Workers’ Compensation), and tax-advantaged accounts (FSAs, HSAs, commuter benefits, and HRAs). and more.
- Counsel the product, engineering, and design teams on healthcare, consumer protection, privacy, and intellectual property law as they build out new and existing benefits products. Benefits-related regulations include federal (ERISA, ACA, HIPAA, tax) laws, state laws, and state-level requirements for benefits.
- Identify dependencies and work cross-functionally with the company’s partnerships, compliance, privacy, security, and commercial teams to create compliant, secure, and scalable benefits product experiences.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute on their product roadmap for the company’s website, mobile applications, and Web Service IaaS offering.
- Guide and collaborate with the company’s compliance and operations teams as they mature processes, controls, and documentation related to how the company builds, offers, sells, and manages benefits products, especially brokerage products.
- Working closely with the company’s compliance and policy teams, keep apprised of emerging healthcare legislation/regulation and help craft the company’s responsive product development strategies.
The ideal candidate will have:
- JD degree with 7+ years of combined relevant legal experience in a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal department working in the health, insurance, and/or benefits industries.
- Demonstrated experience in and strong familiarity working with ERISA, ACA, and HIPAA.
- Experience at a technology company launching products and features and advising on healthcare, consumer protection, privacy and data security, and IP law.
- Active license to practice law in California, Colorado, or New York, or ability to register in-house.
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow through in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player mindset (no job is too big or too small).
- A collaborative approach and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, cross-functionally, and independently.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a great legal team in a highly impactful role at a value driven company with passionate employees.
Solutus Legal has been exclusively engaged on this search. Interested candidates may submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for evaluation.