Our client, a global specialty chemicals leader, has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to assist its executives in hiring an attorney to serve as Senior Counsel – Americas (SC). The SC will serve a critical role in supporting the Company’s North American business lines, as well as assisting with various legal issues for the global parent company. The SC will handle sophisticated commercial legal matters while interacting with senior business leadership and managers around the company. The SC will report to the General Counsel, Performance Formulations and Americas. The SC will have opportunities to work directly with the heads of a number of integral businesses, located around the world, as well as the Global General Counsel and other members of the C-Suite. Additionally, this attorney will support integrated supply chain, including operations, procurement, real estate and/or human resources. The lawyer in the position will also be responsible for international matters from time to time.
For this role, our client seeks an excellent business advisor and counselor who is hard-charging (yet tactful), high-energy, dynamic, a problem-solver and a self-starter who will communicate clearly, be responsive, engaged in the business, and proactive. The SC will need to act with a high level of independence, while safeguarding the Company’s strategic objectives from a legal perspective. This role also requires a willingness to “pitch in” on areas of need in Legal Department, even if they are outside core set of responsibilities.
This lawyer will:
- Provide legal services to the Company’s businesses in North America, including the drafting and hands on negotiation of a variety of commercial and other agreements and corporate documents;
- Provide employment law support to certain functions and the business in North America; and
- Provide support for compliance, M&A and corporate law on various matters.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong academic credentials, including a J.D. or equivalent degree from a well-respected U.S. law school.
- License to practice in at least one state.
- 7+ years relevant working experience, with strong training at an (inter)national law firm. Prior in-house experience strongly preferred.
- Broad exposure to multiple types of legal matters and areas of expertise.
- Extensive experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of commercial agreements and other legal documents (including sales and purchase contracts and distribution agreements).
- Experience in supporting M&A transactions, including due diligence reviews and integration planning/implementation.
- Solid dispute resolution experience and solid command of antitrust principles.
- Experience in environmental, health and safety legal matters is a plus.
Desired attributes include:
- Team Player - ability to work well and build relationships across all levels of the organization and be highly effective and able to maximize the efficiency of the legal department; have the desire to work on numerous and varied matters arising in an in-house legal department.
- Results Oriented - action-oriented problem solver; commercially savvy and committed to getting into the details of a matter and handling it independently through to conclusion.
- Intellectually Curious – Driven to learn, with a “can do” attitude and a strong desire to continue to grow and professionally develop in numerous different legal areas. Focused on improving the Company’s service, products and processes, with ability to drive continuous improvement.
- Business Focus - business-orientation with the ability to drive innovative solutions and strategies, and to appropriately balance risk with the need for the business to take action.
- Communicator – excellent communication and presentation skills, capability to scale support across a large organization and multiple jurisdictions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and travel domestically and internationally, as required.
- Outstanding legal reasoning and analysis and strategic thinking ability. Analytical and creative, with proven good judgment. Strong negotiation skills.
- High energy with the highest levels of personal and professional integrity.
The SC role will involve travel up to 10%-15% of the time. The position is based in the Company’s Randor, PA offices. The Company will cover the cost of relocation for a successful candidate from outside of the area. Attire is business casual. Full vaccination for Covid-19 is required
Solutus has been selected as the exclusive representative on this desirable search. Interested candidates, please submit resumes to email@example.com for consideration. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for review and evaluation.