Our client, a thriving technology company has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to assist the company in its selection of a Legal Counsel or Senior Legal Counsel. This attorney will serve as the company’s lead privacy counsel and lead European-based attorney advising on IP (copyright and trademark) and other business matters. This attorney will report to the company’s Assistant General Counsel and regularly collaborate with and advise legal team colleagues and business leaders. The company has a strong preference for this attorney to work from their Berlin office.
- Counsel on global privacy issues for the company.
- Work closely with engineering, product, security, sales, marketing, and other teams to manage legal risk and compliance with global privacy laws and regulations.
- Advise senior management on privacy issues.
- Provide a wide range of subject matter expertise and resource on privacy, security and data protection.
- Draft external privacy notices and disclosures, and manage/update internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with global privacy laws.
- Respond to customer and employee questions about their individual data rights and the company’s processing activities.
- Draft data protection impact assessments.
- Analyze privacy law developments and provide analysis and guidance for implementation into business processes.
- Counsel on host provider privilege compliance.
- Establish and implement a global strategy and compliance program for host provider privilege compliance.
- Counsel on IP (copyright and trademark) issues.
- Develop and implement IP (copyright and trademark) strategic initiatives, policies, and best practices to mitigate IP risks and maximize business outcomes.
- Manage and improve scalability of company’s notice-takedown policy and other DMCA-related policies in Europe.
- Manage European litigation and external European litigation counsel on active and threatened IP litigation.
- Oversee all aspects of the relationship with outside counsel, including staffing, strategy, budgets, work product, and discovery.
- Assist with global litigation, when necessary.
- Draft legal letters in German and English in response to a wide variety of IP and privacy requests
- Partner with senior leaders and other teams to manage projects.
- Work collaboratively with internal and external counsel to assess and mitigate legal risks, working closely with business and rights holders, and building lasting relationships through collaboration.
What You Will Bring
- privacy counseling (GDPR required; CCPA nice to have; Australian Privacy Act nice to have)
- IP (copyright and trademark) counseling and litigation management (online intermediary law nice to have)
- Counseling on online safe harbor laws in Europe, especially the “host provider privilege” in Germany, online intermediaries, safe harbor and DMCA compliance
- At least 6 to 8 years of post-qualification experience (PQE) (in-house experience nice to have)
- English and German speaking, writing, and reading fluency (required)
- Licensed to practice in Germany (strong preference)
- Ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment while working cross-functionally, both internally and externally
- Ability to balance risks pragmatically so business can achieve goals consistent within company’s risk appetite
- Demonstrated success in strategizing, handling, and managing complex disputes to successful resolution
- Conflict resolution skills, including ability to collaborate and communicate effectively to avert potential litigation
- Outstanding legal and business judgment
- Strong strategic organizational and project management skills
- Strong drafting, negotiating, analyzing, management, and leadership skills
- Excitement about technology, online intermediary / safe harbor law, e-commerce, and the evolving legal landscape
This attorney will be a well-rounded individual with strong interpersonal skills who thrives in a fast-paced environment. A rigid, overly formal personality will not be a fit with this easygoing group. In addition, they must be a confident self-starter and team player with the ability to handle multiple activities.
Compensation is competitive.
Solutus Legal Search has been retained on an exclusive basis for this search partnership. Interested candidates may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates applying directly to the company will be redirected to Solutus for consideration.