Our client, a cutting edge pre-public AI technology start-up, is looking to hire their first attorney to serve as Lead Counsel. Reporting to the CEO, this attorney will spearhead a variety of legal needs for this growing company including matters related to product, AI, opensource, licensing, trademark, copyright and general commercial. S/he will advise executives on industry and legal developments and will collaborate on strategic matters as the company scales. This role may be located in New York (preferred), but our client will consider candidates outside of the New York area to work remotely.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter and problem-solver who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced and collaborative environment, and who welcomes the challenge of staying on top of the evolving legal landscape related to new technologies.
What you’ll be doing:
- Advising the executive management team on legal matters relating to the growth and scaling of an AI company.
- Identifying risks and providing counsel across a variety of practice areas related to AI including: opensource, licensing, trademark, copyright and general commercial matters.
- Coordinating and managing the working relationship with outside legal counsel.
The ideal candidate profile:
- 6+ years of experience – combination of law firm and in-house.
- JD from an ABA accredited law school.
- Experience in the AI industry and associated legal issues (strongly desired)
- Knowledge of opensource and IP
- Experience working in a start-up environment.
- Desire to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, work environment and provide leadership and counsel as the company continues to scale.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including communicating complex legal considerations to the broader executive team.
- Excellent judgment and integrity.
- Comfortable with change.
Targeted base compensation for the qualified candidate is $185,000 - $220,000 plus an equity grant. Individual total compensation will vary and will depend on the successful candidate’s level of seniority and number of years of directly relevant experience.
This is an incredible opportunity to serve in a leadership role for a next generation technology that is on track to dominate the business and consumer landscape. Our client is poised for significant growth and success – and have built a culture of diversity and inclusion, collaboration, creativity, problem solving and intellectual curiosity. The potential upside personally and professionally is remarkable.
Solutus Legal has been selected as the retained representative on this search. Interested candidates, please submit resumes to email@example.com for consideration. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for review and evaluation.