Our client, The American Medical Association (AMA) , one of the most renown organizations in the world, has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to assist the executives in their search for a world class General Counsel. This attorney will manage a team of professionals and will report directly to the EVP and CEO of the organization. The current GC is retiring, so this new executive will take the baton and lead the function.Ideally, this attorney will reside in Chicago, but the executives will consider a remote location for the right candidate (with significant time spent in Chicago for the first year).
The ideal candidate will have sophisticated legal experience in the healthcare or healthcare association work. An excellent foundation in a law firm earlier in a career is a plus. Commercial experience is required. This attorney will have the ability to work successfully in a heavily matrixed environment and work effectively with physician leaders nationally, representing different specialties and/or state medical societies. S/he will have strong business acumen with the ability to partner effectively with internal and external clients to further the mission of the organization. Strong communication written and verbal skills and a high EQ are a must. Our client is looking for a legal executive who possesses a strategic and effective style – not one that high highly combative, but rather productive and solution-oriented.
The General Counsel will work closely with the AMA’s Board of Trustees (BOT), the CEO, the House of Delegates, AMA Councils, and senior AMA staff on all legal and regulatory matters affecting the AMA and its members. This legal executive will attend all BOT and House of Delegates meetings involving the organization’s business and will also work with AMA Councils, Sections and business unit leaders across the AMA. Other responsibilities include:
- Assuming and maintaining overall responsibility for all legal issues with which AMA may be engaged, both in pursuit of its stated missions on behalf of AMA members and as an operating organization.
- Working closely with the CEO to successfully advance the agenda of the AMA
- Negotiating key legal agreements on behalf of the AMA.
- Managing litigation and other matters of potential liability involving the AMA.
- Providing advice regarding the review of the legal aspects of proposed reports, testimony, and other AMA statements to legislative, regulatory and government agencies (federal and state), other public and private bodies, the BOT and the House of Delegates.
- Participating as a member of the senior staff in discussions of major issues under the direction of the CEO, including offering legal counsel prior to final decisions.
- Managing a team of attorneys and other legal professionals including outside counsel.
- Developing and managing the department and its budget for all legal services.
Solutus Legal has been selected as the exclusive representative on this search. Interested candidates, please submit resumes to email@example.com for consideration. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for review and evaluation.