Our client, a large, well-known software company has exclusively retained Solutus Legal to assist the executives with their search for a stellar General Counsel. This executive will report directly to the CEO and will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The General Counsel is a core member of the executive leadership team and will be responsible for all legal affairs of the Company and will provide the highest quality legal counsel to the CEO and other senior management. S/he will also serve as a strategic business partner who will collaborate with other senior leaders to accelerate the growth and evolution of the Company. In addition, this attorney will manage a high performing legal team.
Key Accountabilities and Expectations
- Act as a true generalist and legal partner to internal business teams on a variety of complex legal topics pertaining to SaaS licensing, vendor and partner agreements, compliance, privacy, intellectual property, export compliance, government contracting, security, employment, tax, and financial regulations
- Manage external counsel when necessary
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts
- Support the CEO and finance team on M&A, exit avenues
- SME on corporate regulatory laws and constantly staying on top of changing legislation in the industry
- Build trust and influence the leadership and business roadmap
- Handle corporate governance matters, including Board materials, consents, minutes, and manage internal processes and policies
- Monitor pending/emerging legislation and regulation and advise teams of regulatory developments
- Responsible for anticipating and addressing potential legal risks
- Act as a partner to the business teams
The successful candidate must possess strong business acumen and has the ability to translate complex legal principles into practical and effective business solutions – quickly and decisively. A savvy, confident, detail-oriented and experienced General Counsel with prior General Counsel experience in a technology company environment as well as public company experience will be advantageous.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- D. degree and 15+ years legal experience
- Proven background in general corporate, M&A, IPO, commercial, data security, data privacy, employment and IP
- Public company reporting, prior IPO experience
- Business acumen with business oriented legal solutions (not a box checker) and the ability to effectively collaborate with the other company leaders to move business forward
- Must be a doer: Ability and desire to roll up one’s sleeves and do the work as well as handle the big picture strategic matters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Executive presence and gravitas
- Down to earth and positive/can-do attitude
- Respectful to all members of the team
- Effective interaction and relations with top-level management and Board of Directors
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a high performing legal function
- Proven track record of strong negotiation, communication, organizational, and management skills
- Quick thinker, responsive and reliable
Solutus Legal has been exclusively retained as the recruiter of choice for this wonderful search. Interested candidates, please submit resumes to email@example.com for consideration. Candidates applying directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for review.