Our client, a cash-flow positive Series C fintech company has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to assist the executives in their search for their next Chief Legal Officer.
Our client seeks to hire a mission, values-oriented and purpose-driven General Counsel committed not only to their company by giving their best every day, but also intrinsically motivated to make a societal difference by driving consumer-empowered finance through mobile technology.
The CLO will be responsible for all aspects of the company's legal, compliance, regulatory and government relations functions. S/he will serve as a commercially oriented and practical advisor, counseling the Chief Executive Officer, senior leadership team and Board of Directors on issues of overarching importance to the company, advising on current and future risks and assisting in setting, influencing and implementing the overall strategic direction of the company.
The CLO must be an experienced, versatile, business-oriented and agile lawyer with a track record to address the depth and breadth of legal, regulatory, compliance and government relations issues that arise in a complex and novel start-up that is rapidly growing and expanding. She or he will be a mission, values-oriented and purpose-driven lawyer with the ability and desire to have an impact on the future of the business and consumer financial empowerment more generally. The successful candidate will have a pragmatic, responsive and professional nature, and be a highly motivated self-starter with a high energy level. The General Counsel will design and create a legal function that can support the company’s business objectives and be effective at working across multiple priorities under deadline pressure, with a willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and dig in.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Oversee all legal, regulatory, compliance and government relations matters, strategic and tactical, and advise the Chief Executive Officer, senior leadership team and Board of Directors accordingly.
- Work with product leaders, engineers, and financial experts to build innovative products.
- Provide day-to-day support to the business, including counsel on the legal ramifications of significant company strategic initiatives; anticipate and identify key legal issues requiring attention from the senior leadership team, as appropriate.
- Serve as a key business partner to the Company’s business leaders; develop and implement legal policies and procedures in accordance with business needs; facilitate and support the company's plans to scale products and services.
- Supervise the negotiation and structuring of all commercial contracts in such a way to enable the business; develop and implement processes to streamline the company's commercial contracting process; review and manage policies and procedures for contract generation, negotiation, tracking and management.
- Counsel on both the legal and business ramifications of significant strategic imperatives, including possible mergers and acquisitions, financings and other possible investments; lead and facilitate contractual negotiations of such transactions on behalf of the company.
- Design and create a legal function appropriate for the Company’s lean startup environment and prospective growth; hire and lead lawyers and employees as needed and manage the day-to-day operations of the legal department, including budgeting and planning.
- Manage, develop and maintain relationships with external counsel, focused on efficiency and value.
- Lead interactions with regulators on behalf of the company.
WHAT THE COMPANY LOOKS FOR IN YOU:
- 15+ years of relevant legal experience, ideally gained at a well-regarded law firm followed by a fast-paced, complex tech company.
- Experience in a consumer-facing payments, lending, fintech or a nimble financial services company; a demonstrable understanding of or familiarity with the disruptive payment industry.
- Experience with regulatory compliance including developing and implementing related policies, procedures and training programs. Experience working with state and federal agencies on compliance and regulatory issues, preferably relating to financial services industries and the possible adoption of new laws or regulations.
- Demonstrated track record in leading and growing a successful legal function, compliance and government relations as well as scaling, managing and motivating the legal, compliance and government relations teams.
- Ability to build effective relationships throughout the company with an emphasis on collaboration and ultimately by being a creative problem-solver.
- Presence and stature coupled with the energy and drive to gain credibility with the senior leadership team.
- Ability to listen, partner, and team with other leaders on business decisions.
- Business-focused lawyer that understands the role the legal function can play in supporting business objectives and uses knowledge of the law and business to advise on risk/reward trade-offs.
- Strong business judgment with a track record of strategic, breakthrough thinking that has led to significant outcomes.
- Creative problem-solver who can balance protecting a company with the risk with facilitating business objectives.
- Open and receptive listener with a client-service orientation.
- Able to make fast decisions in the absence of perfect and/or complete information.
- High-performance and results orientated.
Solutus has been selected as the exclusive representative on this desirable search. Interested candidates, please submit resumes to email@example.com for consideration. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for review and evaluation.