Our client, a leading multinational consumer and professional products company that markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names in the world, is seeking to add an experienced, strategic commercial attorney to its growing legal team. Reporting to the Vice President – Associate General Counsel, this role will have primary responsibility for leading legal support of an area of strategic growth initiatives and commercial agreements, including structuring, drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of strategic commercial agreements and special projects.
Depending on level of experience of the candidate, the role may also include serving on a strategic business unit leadership team. This role will also have responsibility for driving continuous improvements on end-to-end strategic contracting and governance processes and providing counsel in other substantive areas as needed.
This is a highly collaborative, innovative and inclusive legal team that delivers world-class legal services to the Company and to business partners. They are proactive business partners who help drive the Company’s strategy and guide the Company in taking smart risks consistent with its values. The Company has been named as one of the Best Places to Work in the U.S. by Glassdoor, and has also been recognized for its diversity, sustainability efforts and corporate responsibility. The Company’s headquarters are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, but they are open to a candidate located anywhere in the U.S. who is interested in a remote working opportunity.
- Provide experienced leadership and advise on a wide range of global strategic commercial contracts (such as joint promotion and sales arrangements, licenses, partnerships, alliances, technology agreements, strategic procurement and manufacturing arrangements, and others).
- Drive successful outcomes, including quickly and efficiently structuring, adapting, drafting, negotiating and advising on novel strategic business arrangements.
- Coordinate specialized cross-functional legal analysis and cross-functional business inputs on strategic growth and other projects.
- Lead and coordinate legal due diligence efforts and governance initiatives relating to strategic projects.
- Depending on experience level, play a leading legal advisory role on a business unit leadership team and provide legal support to the business unit.
- Assist in other substantive legal areas and work with members of Legal leadership, attorneys and staff on departmental matters as needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 12+ years (for Legal Director) or 8+ years (Senior Corporate Counsel) experience as a practicing attorney with significant and demonstrable experience in a wide range of strategic commercial agreements; substantial experience structuring, drafting and negotiating relevant commercial agreements and advising on general commercial matters, including experience at a top tier law firm. In house experience greatly preferred.
- People and/or project team management experience preferred.
- Substantial and demonstrable experience influencing at a senior level with business management on strategic issues.
- Familiarity with regulatory, trademark and advertising law issues preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, diversity and pro-bono service and/or community involvement.
- JD degree and bachelor’s degree; top tier undergraduate and law schools
- Member of the California State Bar (RIHC is acceptable) or another state’s bar.
Skills and Abilities:
- Deep and broad expertise in contract drafting, negotiating and advising on contract risks and mitigations, particularly in the areas of joint promotion and sales, partnership, alliances, licensing, technology, procurement and others, with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong ability to quickly and efficiently adapt templates for novel business arrangements
- Broad range of relevant legal experience, including the ability to identify issues, apply a business mindset, prioritize and resolve critical legal issues in real time, and escalate risks as appropriate.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, with the ability to drive, lead, influence, provide points of view and listen.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent execution and organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong technology skills.
- Team player with ability to work effectively in a matrixed organization and interact with and command respect from company employees.
- Self-starter with a sense of urgency, ability to prioritize matters and to handle unanticipated situations effectively and work well under pressure with tight deadlines to ensure timely and appropriate response to issues raised.
- Unquestioned personal integrity; seen as a role model for ethical principles and values of the company and practices required by law.
- Excellent judgment and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Firmness and courage to confront issues at every level.
- Ability to identify and use the most efficient and effective legal resources to complete the work in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to inclusion and diversity.
- Some limited travel may be required.
Solutus Legal has been exclusively retained to conduct this search. Interested candidates may submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for consideration.