Our client, a publicly traded and leading technology company, is seeking a Director of Intellectual Property to join its award-winning legal department.
This legal executive will join the company at a pivotal time where the company is undergoing an innovation transformation as it develops technology for the next generation. The successful candidate will be responsible for advising senior leadership on “all things IP.” S/he will have an opportunity to be embedded in the Company’s business units and to influence strategy and results. This position reports to the VP in the department, who is fantastic!
The ideal candidate is a practical, business-minded attorney with sophisticated IP experience and an expertise in patent law. Qualified candidates will have at least 12 + years of quality law firm or in-house experience. Prior in-house experience is strongly preferred.
• Key responsibilities include:
• Developing IP portfolio, including assuring quality and establishing strategies for portfolio optimization in line with company objectives
• Advising on, and collaborating with, the global technical community and senior leadership (located in multiple domestic and international tech centers) on intellectual property matters relating to the development of software and services, including open source compliance and contributions
• Working with external communities and ecosystems (trade associations, PTO relations, and common interest organizations)
• Developing and coaching internal team of IP attorneys
• Managing outside IP counsel, litigation and disputes including management of both strategic and NPE disputes
• Advising on complex IP matters in transactions and licensing, M&A and JV
• S/he must have strong software, hardware, and services experience; cloud, PaaS/SaaS/IaaS experience is preferred.
• Experience developing and managing an extensive patent portfolio and ability to counsel colleagues and execute on portfolio development and strategy
• Detailed knowledge and hands-on experience in patent litigation and patent prosecution and ability to manage outside counsel to meet invention capture and other patent-related processes and policies
• Strategic, creative, practical and open-minded thinker with excellent business judgment with a focus on business outcomes
• Strong leadership, management, interpersonal and people skills
• Ability to thrive in a high performance, fast-paced environment and to multi-task
• Ability to prioritize effectively and execute quickly
• Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
This is a phenomenal opportunity for a dynamic legal professional to join a company long recognized as an industry leader in innovation and corporate culture. This is an important role with a great deal of responsibility and autonomy. In order to succeed in this corporate environment, this attorney must possess a positive attitude and strong work ethic, be collaborative and flexible.
An undergraduate degree in electrical engineering or computer science is preferred. Membership to the USPTO and California Bar or Registered In-House Counsel (RIHC) status is required. Local candidates only. Compensation is competitive with excellent benefits.
Solutus Legal has been selected as the exclusive representative on this desirable search. Interested candidates, please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for review and evaluation.