Our client, one of the premier global organizations is seeking to add a Deputy Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer (DECO) to its expanding legal team.
Reporting to the Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer (CECO), this executive will possess a deep understanding of the Company’s business operations and effectively partner with counterparts in Legal, as well as colleagues in our Group Companies, finance, risk, security, HR, IA and other functional teams.
The DECO’s primary responsibility will include assisting with the development and implementation of the Company’s compliance strategy set forth by the CECO and managing direct reports across the organization. This executive mandate includes developing and ensuring proper business processes and controls in place to implement the Company’s ethics and compliance programs throughout the organization and ensure that they are consistent, effective, and efficient in identifying, preventing, detecting and correcting non-compliance with applicable rules and regulations. In partnering with CECO, this role will establish and advance policies, procedures and culture to uphold legal, ethical, and proper conduct. The DECO will also review and update standards of conduct to ensure continuing relevance in providing guidance to management and employees.
The ability to navigate an extensive, complex organization with effective communication skills (including strong listening and persuasive skills) as well as unwavering discretion is a must. The successful candidate will possess the highest integrity with the ability to work with diplomacy and urgency.
The DECO will be based in Tokyo, Japan and must have demonstrated ability to function effectively in a large Japanese company. Must be fluent in spoken Japanese.
• Supporting the CECO in driving and effectively implementing Company’s ethics and compliance program to include mitigation of risks with respect to corruption, antitrust, trade, sanctions, money laundering, conflicts of interest and operations through a program that relies on risk assessment, third-party management, training, compliance monitoring and testing, compliance auditing, internal investigations, and root cause analysis, among other things.
• Support and advance the achievement of compliance goals by successfully collaborating across all business units, functions and leaders to integrate compliance into key global business practices and processes.
• Manage the preparation of the periodic program reports for the Group Risk and Compliance Committee (GRCC) and Board of Directors.
• Attend and present to GRCC and Board as may be required.
Training and Awareness
• Oversee the implementation and maintenance of an effective compliance communication program for the company, including promoting (a) an organizational culture that encourages ethical conduct and a commitment to compliance with the law; (b) heightened awareness of Code of Conduct and appropriate reporting of improper activities, (c) ethical decision making and conduct, and (d) identifying new and existing compliance issues and developing related policies and procedures.
• Encourage and drive heightened awareness of the Code of Conduct, understanding of new and existing compliance issues and related policies and procedures, and developing policies and programs that encourage managers and employees to report suspected fraud and other misconduct.
Monitor, Audit and Report
• Implement a system for uniform handling of all violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedures and Standards of Conduct in terms of evaluation, investigation and resolution in
collaboration with other departments and to ensure proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
• Implement a global helpline.
• Conduct and assess employee cultural surveys.
• Address potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; execute corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and deliver general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future. Develop and implement compliance risk assessment function.
• Advise executive leadership team and other business leaders on compliance issues pertaining to existing and new products, competition, and engagement with government officials, among other things
Skills and Experience
Qualified candidates will have 10+ years of experience in serving in ethics and compliance positions of increasing scope and responsibility in private practice, government service and/or in-house role. The ideal candidate will possess public company experience and, preferably, some experience working as a government attorney handling compliance investigations.
• Juris Doctor or equivalent.
• Fluent Japanese speaker.
• Comfortable working in a large Japanese company.
• Substantial global experience in driving compliance for complex, international entities.
• Demonstrated leadership abilities and strategic vision as a people manager. Ability to inspire and motivate others to perform well and to accept feedback from others.
• Exposure to global compliance regulatory regimes and compliance sectors including competition, conflicts of interest, trade controls, ABAC, investigations and data privacy.
• Demonstrated effectiveness operating in complex organizational environments and self-starter qualities.
• A strong communicator. Maturity and empathy to resolve potential issues between technology and the core business working with multiple personalities.
• Prior success: Through past successes, immediate credibility as an extremely capable business leader and compliance expert.
• Calm under pressure: Ability to keep cool under pressure and not react to surprises critically – drives to understand the issue and solve the problem.
• High emotional IQ: Sufficient emotional intelligence to attract world-class talent and to enable organizational competence in the midst of pervasive change.
• Reliable colleague.
• Experience developing talent: Proven track record of hiring, developing, and deploying top talent at all levels and an equal ability to consistently top-grade the organization while
simultaneously reducing costs and cycle times.
• Change management: Skill in defining, leading, and managing change.
• Excellent sense of humor.
This is a phenomenal opportunity to work for one of the world’s most prestigious organizations in a critical role.