Solutus Legal Search has been exclusively engaged by our client, a venture creation incubator that uses data science to launch companies in the biotech, life science and healthcare space, in its search for a mid-level, versatile corporate-securities/transactional attorney to join the legal team.
The ideal candidate will have 4 to 6+ years of experience in a range of corporate-securities matters such as start-up entity formation and financing, mergers & acquisitions and equity compensation, and some experience in technology licensing and commercial transactions. Experience with, or affinity for, healthcare, life sciences, and/or data science companies is preferred. Out-of-state candidates who meet California State Bar requirements described below are welcome to apply. The ideal candidate will have some exposure to an incubation or venture capital, and be comfortable in a scrappy, improvisational environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Directly handle entity formation and maintenance (responsible for forming and maintaining corporations and limited liability companies, including founder equity issuance, overseeing annual corporate governance formalities, drafting consents and minutes, maintaining or assisting with cap tables, attending to blue sky compliance and organizing and maintaining corporate records)
- Directly handle legal aspects of equity awards for multiple companies (maintaining equity plan forms, preparing grant agreements and ensuring that all formalities are attended to and loaded into equity management solution) and exercising judgment in creating efficient processes for managing and communicating equity awards
- Draft, review, analyze, negotiate, and manage a wide variety of contracts, e.g., master service agreements, sponsored research agreements, supply agreements, software licenses, SaaS subscription agreements, material transfer agreements, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, work orders, and other agreements with commercial entities, institutions, organizations and service providers
General Business Needs
- Directly advise on a range of legal needs including employment and benefits matters, office leasing and vendor and supplier agreements,
- Work with legal team members to improve processes, implement technology solutions and process changes and to efficiently meet business needs
- Other duties as assigned; we expect this position to grow in responsibilities
- At least five years of corporate-securities experience with a major law firm; an in-house role in a startup in addition to law firm training is a plus
- Substantial experience working with startup companies including direct experience with venture financings and employee equity plans is required; additional experience in structuring and formation of partnerships and limited liability companies is preferred
- Experience working in or with the biotechnology industry, including research and development and commercial contracts is strongly preferred; applicants with technology licensing experience are also encouraged to apply
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited institution required
- Current California State Bar certification or eligibility for Registered In-House Counsel status in California required
Our client is aiming to build a new type of organization, one in which people & culture are at the center of what they do. They hire the best people and provide them with the support and tools they need to invest in, incubate and grow companies that will revolutionize healthcare.
Solutus Legal has been selected as the exclusive representative on this search. Interested candidates, please submit resumes to email@example.com for consideration. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for review and evaluation.