Our client, a leading multinational consumer and professional products company that markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names in the world, has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to assist the company in its search for a Corporate Counsel who will help oversee the company’s day-to-day compliance with data privacy and information security laws and regulations, in addition to the company’s overall global compliance program. This position will provide opportunity for growth into other areas, and will work closely with the company's different business units and with personnel in other key functions, including senior management.
The role is based at the Company’s headquarters in Oakland, and they are willing to consider flexible hour/working from home (1-2 days a week) arrangements.The company has been named as one of the Best Places to Work in the U.S. by Glassdoor, and has also been recognized for its diversity, sustainability efforts and corporate responsibility. This attorney will report directly to the Vice President – Compliance and Assistant General Counsel.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 3-6+ years of experience with privacy legal issues and/or related areas. CIPP and/or CIPM as well as CCEP certifications are nice to have.
- Experience with privacy, information security, and compliance laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of FCPA, UK Bribery Act, and related anti-corruption regulations.
- Knowledge of the EU's General Data Protection Regulation and the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018.
- A JD, admission to the California Bar (RIHC is acceptable), and an excellent academic record. Local candidates only (Northern California).
Key responsibilities include:
- Help drive the continued development and implementation of the company’s data privacy program and related policies and procedures.
- Drive the company’s compliance with U.S. and international data privacy and information security and laws and regulations.
- Counsel on legal issues related to advertising and marketing through websites, social media, and other emerging technology platforms, including advising on consumer protection and FTC guidelines.
- Draft and negotiate data privacy and security provisions in agreements.
- Develop and provide employee training in the areas of privacy, cyber security, and compliance.
- Help support the global compliance program and initiatives, which may include investigation support, training, regional and local compliance initiatives, and/or third party evaluation and monitoring.
- Counsel on legal issues related to the company’s efforts to monitor and audit processes and systems to enhance identification of potential issues.
- Provide legal support for business initiatives in emerging markets and the company’s professional products sales.
- Assist in other substantive legal areas, including on general commercial transactions; also work with members of Legal leadership, other attorneys and staff on departmental matters as needed.
The successful candidate will have excellent judgment and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information, strong leadership, negotiating, decision-making and problem-solving skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills. They will be a self-starter with an ability to multi-task and to identify and use legal resources efficiently and effectively. They will have a commitment to inclusion and diversity, excellent execution and organizational skills, and the firmness and courage to confront issues at every level. The team is highly collegial and collaborative – excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor are key!
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a great legal team at one of the most highly recognized and reputable companies in the world.
Solutus Legal has been exclusively engaged on this search. Interested candidates may submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for evaluation.