Our client, a leading multinational consumer and professional products company that markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names in the world, has exclusively retained Solutus Legal Search to assist the company in its search for an outstanding attorney to join its legal team in the area of Contracts and Legal Operations. Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel & Senior Director of Legal Operations, this role has primary responsibility for drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide range of commercial contracts and advising and serving on the leadership team of the Company's Global Strategic Sourcing (GSS) organization. It also has responsibility for leading and optimizing the company's contract lifecycle management system, serving as an integral part of the department's Legal Operations group, driving continuous improvements and providing counsel in other substantive areas as needed.
This is a highly collaborative, innovative and inclusive legal team that delivers world-class legal services to the company and to business partners. Together, they guide and protect the company and enhance its reputation. The company has been named as one of the Best Places to Work in the U.S. by Glassdoor, and has also been recognized for its diversity, sustainability efforts and corporate responsibility. The role is based at the Company’s headquarters in Oakland.
• Commercial Contracts and Contract Management:
o Draft, negotiate and advise on a wide range of commercial contracts, including procurement, logistics, general consulting and services, sales, distribution, and other agreements from time to time, including international, IT and marketing agreements, as needed.
o Serve on the Global Strategic Sourcing (GSS) leadership team, providing counsel to the company's GSS organization.
o Optimize the company’s contracting processes, including creating and updating templates and self-service resources, including playbooks, trainings and knowledge management resources.
o Lead and optimize the company's contract lifecycle management system and track contracting metrics.
• Legal Operations:
o Lead Legal Operations initiatives, including in the areas of budgeting, outside counsel management, business continuity planning, training, knowledge management, process improvements, technology solutions, and other areas as needed.
• Other Responsibilities:
o Assist in other substantive legal areas and work with members of Legal leadership, attorneys and staff on departmental matters as needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
• 5+ years as a practicing attorney with experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements and advising on general commercial matters, including experience at a top tier law firm. In house experience preferred.
• Experience interacting at a senior level with business management.
• Strong technology skills and interest in technology. Experience with contracts lifecycle management and legal software and systems preferred.
• Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, diversity and pro-bono service and/or community involvement.
• JD degree and bachelors degree; top tier undergraduate and law schools
• Member of the California State Bar, or having the qualifications and willingness to sit for (and pass) the California bar exam or qualifications for registration under the California State Bar in-house counsel program
Skills and Abilities:
• Broad range of relevant legal experience, including the ability to identify, prioritize and resolve critical legal issues in real time.
• Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to drive and lead, while effectively working with legal and technical staffs.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external stakeholders.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
• Excellent execution and organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Team player with ability to work effectively in a matrixed organization and interact with and command respect from company employees.
• Self-starter with a sense of urgency, ability to prioritize matters and to handle unanticipated situations effectively and work well under pressure with tight deadlines to ensure timely and appropriate response to issues raised.
• Unquestioned personal integrity; seen as a role model for ethical principles and values of the company and practices required by law.
• Excellent judgment and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
• Firmness and courage to confront issues at every level.
• Ability to identify and use the most efficient and effective legal resources to complete the work in a timely and cost effective manner.
• Strong ability to influence, provide points of views, and to listen.
• Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
• Some limited travel may be required.
Solutus Legal has been exclusively retained to conduct this search. Interested candidates may submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes submitted directly to our client will be forwarded to Solutus for consideration.