Are you looking for a great job working with a great team? NetApp Legal is looking for an accomplished commercial technology lawyer to join our dynamic and fast-paced team.
This is the perfect opportunity for a highly motivated and well qualified professional to join the ranks of an innovative, award-winning legal department. The NetApp Legal Department has been recognized by numerous publications and professional associations for its innovation, value creation and thought leadership. Most recently, NetApp was awarded the 2020 Legal Business Awards’ Most Transformative In-House Legal Department of the Year and the 2019 Most Innovative Public Company Legal Department of the Year by the Recorder, and also received the National Diversity Council’s 2020 Leadership Excellence in Technology award.
In NetApp Legal, we believe that our team should be a role model for the company’s values and culture, and that we can create competitive advantage for NetApp through partnership, service, and integrity. We also believe in having fun while we’re at it. "To create a competitive advantage that will enable the company to succeed, we have to continually out-innovate the innovators. And in the process, we're having a blast.” – Matt Fawcett, General Counsel
NetApp Legal seeks to hire a commercial technology lawyer who has a strong background in structuring, drafting and negotiating agreements with customers, resellers and partners, as well as providing legal commercial advice about the myriad of issues that touch our business, such as antitrust, data privacy and general contracting law. You must be both results-driven and client-focused (internal and external), and be skilled at building and maintaining relationships. This position reports to the Director of Legal who partners with the Americas Sales teams, and it focuses on commercial transactional support with sales and business teams.
- Review, negotiate, and draft a wide range of contracts and subcontracts with NetApp’s global, enterprise and commercial customers, including master purchase agreements, software license agreements, cloud services and SAAS agreements, professional services agreements, reseller agreements, bid proposal responses and reseller agreements
- Provide timely, proactive, outstanding legal support to sales, services and operations organizations
- Act as subject matter expert and advise sales clients on intellectual property, indemnification, information security, privacy and matters related to commercial contract terms and other technology issues, including offering training as needed
- In-depth understanding of hardware/software/cloud industry practices with ability to recognize and highlight revenue recognition issues
- Strong time-management, analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills, with ability to think strategically and creatively. Ability to develop win-win solutions and to balance the interests of the customer or partner with the company’s interests
- Team-oriented, with a good sense of humor and high level of integrity, responsibility and professionalism, and the ability to collaborate with others on the legal team and cross functionally with finance, operations, support, and export organizations
- Demonstrated experience providing outstanding legal support to sales organizations
- Exhibit crisp, clear oral and written communication skills, and proven drafting and negotiation skills; possess the ability to reduce legal issues to straightforward practical analysis and advice
- Strategic, creative, practical and open-minded thinker with excellent business judgment and a focus on business outcomes
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and people skills
- Ability to thrive in a high performance, fast-paced environment and to multi-task, prioritize effectively and execute quickly
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
- A “Get Things Done” mindset and ability to find and present simple, practical and actionable solutions to complex problems
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively develop and manage various relationships
Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctor and membership in good standing of at least one state bar
- Minimum of five years relevant experience, preferably with at least three years in house experience at a technology or internet company
- Strong software, hardware, and services experience, and cloud, PaaS/SaaS/IaaS experience, desired
- Have demonstrable expertise and experience in the areas of contracts, technology law, cybersecurity, data privacy law and/or intellectual property, especially with respect to software and data issues